Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Threshold Workout

Oct. 27, 2010

Training: AM L3 threshold workout. Total Time: 2hr
              PM easy run and strength. Total time: 1hr

So bring people up to speed. I did a race called the Trans-Alps in early September that consisted of 195 miles over the alps in a 8 day stage race format. I did structure a bit of my summer training to prepare for a race of that magnitude. from late August through late September I was in Europe focused entirely on mountain running. This of course had its effects on my skiing fitness, but as truly believe, the mental aspect of athletics plays a substantial role in competition. For me, The Trans-Alps not only gave me a needed break from the everyday ritual of eat-train-work-train-eat-sleep, but also allowed to experience discomfort as a whole new level. This was an event that was well beyond my mental grasps and simply put, would test my "demons". I think many athletes have these so called "demons", which are born from the desire to push yourself harder and faster. Nonetheless, the experience was invaluable and an amazing time was had, but the month spend on foot had brought me away from my ski fitness. I have spent the past month building my strength back into my upper body.  I lost a solid ten pounds during the race which I'm sure came out of the upper body. Luckily, I have learned my body responds to L4/L5 work very well and i can build power pretty quick, but the L3/L4 grinding gear takes quite a while to build back. I decided to race both time trials last weekend to gauge where I was at physically. Surprisingly, I faired much better than thought in the sprints, but wasn't necessarily thrilled with the distance TT. My time was similar to that of a so-so L3 test during the summer testing sequences. There are a lot of parameters to consider when comparing times, but the short of it was that my movements did not feel as crisp as they could be at this point. That comfort comes with good L3 training, building the capacity and strength to hold better movements at higher speeds. I have a bad habit of always going a bit too hard on L3 workouts which tends to tap the anaerobic system too much taking away from the aerobic system. So after a short meeting with my coach, it is in the best interests that bring myself back a step and spend a couple of weeks with predominately L3 work, deviating from the teams L4 race prep sequence. I will focus on staying much more within the L3 realm and keep the aerobic system the dominant engine. With still about a month until the first set of races, I have ample amount of time to raise that L3 threshold and find smoother stronger movements for the distance racing. After many years of training, I have a pretty good handle on how my body responds to certain types of training, but there is always new things to learn. The coach and athlete need to be good with communication to achieve success in a program. At any rate, due to icy roads, our hilly course was relegated to a fairly flat out and back course with the outward direction being fairly gradual uphill. This made for a great workout nonetheless. I held a very solid L3 pace with a little bit of L4 in there for about 45 minutes of total work time. .

Thought of the day: In training there is a fine line between improving ones system and going too hard. Better to keep things in check, but its not bad to test the body now and again!

No comments:

Post a Comment