Sunday, October 31, 2010

SNNNOOOOOWWWW!!!!!

Oct. 31, 2010

Training: OD classic Total time: 2hr 45mins

     I got to ski on snow today!!!!!! Friday night, there were rumors of enough snow in Hatcher Pass and that grooming was going to happen. With a big thumbs up, the team took off there on Saturday and enjoyed the fresh groomed excitement. Mark and I had to keep ourselves contained one more day. We took off at 7:30 to head up to Hatcher and were waxing our skis in the parking lot at 8:45. I forgot how cold it can feel up there, but I had worn plenty of clothes and was ready. 5 layers of Extra Blue later, i was out on my skis. Like always though, the first few minutes are allocated to making transition from 2' skis (roller-skis) to 7'+ skis. I feel like a new skier every year for a few minutes, but sure enough the muscle memory kicks in and I feel right at home.
     With the body still feeling a bit tired from yesterday, I kept the pace pretty moderated. Mark was getting pretty excited because of the snow, reminding me of a two week old puppy, but i remained focused and calm.... like a fully cooled loaf of pumpkin bread. The loops are pretty small up there, so it wasn't hard to shut down the mind and phase out after a few laps. No matter what though, it was awesome just to have skis on again. I have my ups and downs every summer with motivation and whatnot, but putting on skis again this time of year gets me more pumped that anything. Its winter baby!


     My team typically takes off around mid-November to start out our season, which means Thanksgiving has been spend on the road for many years now.  I love the Thanksgivings on the road because we stay in a big house and everyone pitches in and we have a great meal. I do although miss being able to spend that joyous day of food..... I mean.. day of giving thanks with my friends at home too. With that in mind, Mark and I planned a Pre-Thanksgiving dinner for tonight. Full spread..... I mean if you think of all the best parts of Thanksgiving being made to perfection, this was it. Thanksgiving on Halloween is an excellent idea and one that I will push for in future years. Its great to be able to spend a good evening of food and conversation like that of Thanksgiving with all the good people in your life... and to that I say Cheers and Happy Halloween!
Pictures coming.

No comments:

Post a Comment