Sunday, October 31, 2010

Oct. 30, 2010

Training: L3 Pace wrkout. Total time: 2 hr

     Today was a fun day! Its the day before Halloween and people are simply excited to go do things like party and trick or treat and whatnot. It has been a while since I have done anything for Halloween of any sort really, simply because its always smack right in the middle of the week with intervals the next day and working until late hours with training afterwards. I do believe that athletes should make time to go out an have fun from time to time, but I suppose that for me with the season coming up and being in the middle of our last good training block before heading out, I just cant afford to be up late drinking and exposing myself to possible sickness or a day of missed or non-quality training. I don't want to sound like a fun-nazi or anything, I get in a few epic days a year that seem to tide me over, but I believe its not worth the risk at crucial times in the season like we are now. Maybe I'm just getting older and prefer to take an evening to relax. Nonetheless, the excitement is there and I still fall into suit.
     Mark and I had to be at work at 12pm today and could not go to Hatcher's with the rest of the team, but we put in a great workout anyhow. We took to the hillside trails with our running shoes and poles and decided the best route for the day was 2 x Spencer Loop at L3. It was important that I keep the pace under the L4 mark and really work the aerobic system. Mark and I tend to push the pace with workouts like these and by Mark and I, I mean me. Its funny how when kept in check, L3 is a very comfortable pace. When keeping the legs just under that point where lactate starts to build, one can actually maintain a fairly fast pace with little fatigue.
     Saturdays typically are not my favorite days with a hard workout in the morning followed by a busy Saturday at the Raven.When Mark and I finished the workout, we were surprised to see how fast the workout caught up to us, with both our bodies feeling rundown and a bit beat up. Thats what and hour at threshold pace on tough terrain will do though. Ive been really good about wearing my compression tights to work on these days and they really help keep the body from feeling totally impaired. With though combined with my supersuit I wore to work, I had nothing to frown about.

      The day spent at work was pretty fun. With everyone dressed up in costume garb, it was hard for customers not to smile, even when you could tell they weren't having such a great day. All in a days work for......R-Man. I couldn't think of anything good. Rediculous-Man might have worked.
      The prospect of doing strength after work on Saturdays is never appealing, and feeling good about the last few weeks of training and knowing I have precious time left to spend with the beautiful lady in my life, I decided to take the evening off and spend some relaxing quality time. Very much an excellent day.

No comments:

Post a Comment