Saturday, October 23, 2010

Distance TT

Oct. 23, 2010

Training: AM Skate roller-ski time trial approx 10k distance. Total time: 2 hr

The course for today was the same course as we use for our L3 testing (aerobic threshold) which begins ath the Potter Marsh parking area and heads out the Old Seward and takes a right up into residential neighborhoods. We finish at the top of Prominence Pt. after skiing up Goldenview drive about 600m. All in all roughly 10k of predominantly uphill skiing. After yesterdays Sprint TT, my body wasn't necessarily psyched to do anything hard again. It took every bit of the 40 minute warm-up to feel even remotely qualified to do anything. Of course as luck would have it I was put in the drivers seat (1st guy out) meaning I was going to be the one everyone was chasing today. It was a 15 second interval start, so the spread was going to be thin and excitement to reel the guy in front high. Mark was starting right after me and because he had been posting some great times this summer here, i wasn't going to be surprised if he caught me fairly quickly after the start. I left the start line wanting not to succumb to the pressure behind me and stay relatively relaxed the first half.  As we turned off Old Seward and into the climb into the residentials, mark had gained some time on me, but was still 10 seconds back. We got into so steeper V1 climbs and the clicking of the poles behind me started to fade. This was encouraging to me, but at the same time a bit confused because i wasn't feeling that great either and didn't think i was going particularly fast. I kept trucking and a few minutes later i looked back to see Mark was no longer there. When i reached the bottom of Prominence Pt. with still 8 minutes or so of climbing to go, I was slowing down. I got a bit excited thinking i was doing really well to be pulling away from Mark and had picked up the tempo a bit. I made it through the climb fairly smooth and without breaking down. Half way up there was a long stretch where i caught sight of someone coming up on me about 45 seconds back or so. I figured this was James Southam, a fantastic skier and Olympian, who had previously overtaken me by more on occasions and had only started 45 seconds back. When I crossed the finish line, i was surprised to find the Patrick Johnson was that skier. He had started behind James and had for all I could tell.. a great day. I figured he was about 20 seconds or so up on me. Its always frustrating when younger guys beat you, but at the same time you feel proud of them too. I still love to see guys when they are on. But at far as guys that are "ON" goes, Bart Dengel had one of his best times ever up the hill in just over 32 minutes. He crossed the line and was obviously beyond himself. He was laying on the gravel face down and breathing heavily from exhaustion. Bart had started in the last position in the starting line and had passed most everybody to finish in a sprint with James. In the end it was Bart in 32:14, Patrick 33:33, Myself 33:55. This was not a particularly great time for me by any respect, but it was the best i could put forth for the day given my fitness. Mark had had a day where nothing seemed to function properly and fell far from his idea of PAR. We all have those days for sure. I can think of quite a few days over the past month that were like that for me. Its never awesome when those days fall on TT days, but it does happen now and again. I am pretty happy with the early TT results for myself. I have another month to find my form and I know it will come when it comes time to throw down. But for now, Hats off to the guys that threw down great performances, our team looks great right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment