Sunday, November 14, 2010

Travel day phenomenon

Nov. 14, 2010

Training: Nov. 13. Easy recovery skate. Total time: 1.5hr
              Nov. 14. Travel day Shake out run. Total time: 40mins

     I always seem to build a lot of anxiety before travel days because even though I have traveled much more than the average person, I don't travel well. By the end of the flights and drives, I am tense from sitting in awkward positions and generally grumpy from lack of sleep. It was hard to think that anything would be different, because as usual I was not very psyched to get on the plane. I didn't sleep well the night before and was already tired. Thankfully, Mark had an extra pair of ear plugs and so I could at least drown out the engine groans. After making fun of him for needing a sleep aid before travel, Mark handed me a melatonin pill and even though I figured it wouldn't do much, I took it anyway. We boarded the plane, I sat down, and I was out cold. I woke up to hear the intercom informing people to have their seats and tray tables up for landing .

     Alive was not the best way to describe me trolling from one gate to the next. I really must have been out hard because I hardly remember a thing from being in Seattle. Mark said it was just the 2mg tablet, but you would have thought I took the entire bottle. I slept through our layover on a bench and immediately after boarding the second plane, I was out again for the duration. I wasn't in much better shape consciously on the other end, but I think that with sleeping through the flights, the anxiety and tension I typically have was reduced. The puddle jumper to Steamboat was much the same as I passed out quickly and awoke just before landing.

     We arrived in a winter wonderland of snow with heavy snow still falling and a forecast calling for much more. The touring center down in town has a scheduled opening for tomorrow and with the new snow, could be something wonderful. Mark and I went for a short run to loosen up the legs and to get a quick reminder that we were at altitude now. I am comforted that we will have a solid 10 days of acclimation before racing starts. The season has begun and  we are going to start racing!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment