Thursday, November 18, 2010

Nothing but sunshine

Nov. 18, 2010

Training: AM - distance classic ski. Total time: 2hr
              PM - easy jog. Total time: 30mins

     I woke up to the sun in my face and a few chirping birds. An excellent morning!! I was about to burst into song, but I realized that I would probably wake the house. I settled for a wonderful cup of coffee which washed down some warm cinnamon bread that I made last night. A wonderful morning indeed!!!
     After lounging around a bit this morning (Mark and I relishing the fact we aren't stressed on time due to work), we headed out for the touring center for a ski. I took my time getting my boots on in the parking lot, because even though the temp was 19 degrees, the sun felt much warmer and was very pleasant. After the day off, i was excited to get on my skis again and was comforted that since arriving at altitude, my body finally felt loose and relaxed while skiing. The body is adapting and is feeling less stressed.

    Over the past few days, Mark and I have been running into a few of the nordic combined guys. The other day while Mark and I were struggling with the kick wax, multi olympian Todd Lodwick smiled and laughed each time he went by and saw us struggling with the wax. Todd had told me a couple years back when I was racing my first world cup that he would rather huck himself off a 120m jump than classic ski and and during my ski the other day I might have just agreed. Today we ran into and chatted with Olympic silver medalist Johnny Spillane. With a bit of injury this summer, he was starting his build up back into training. He said that he is only allowed to ski for 30 minutes for the time being, which to me would be torture, but Johnny seemed calm and collected knowing full well that he will be back on the scene the second half of the winter. I have a lot of respect for our nordic combined guys and I look forward to watching them this season.
     We have a couple more days of nothing but sunshine in the forecast and I'm loving every minute of it. 6 days until the season start. 

No comments:

Post a Comment