Monday, November 15, 2010

Altitude L3

Nov. 15, 2010

Training: AM light L3 (33minutes) workout. Total time: 2hr
              PM easy recovery jog. Total time: 30 mins

     There are probably a million different philosophies on how to transition to altitude from sea-level best, but im not sure I've found the perfect one yet. I've applied a few over the years and after a week I always end up feeling the same, so maybe it doesn't really matter. I do agree though that a good light threshold workout to cycle the blood through the system is great within the first couple days. Without getting to scientific, I think that the work effort of the L3 zone can help the body recognize the lack of oxygen a bit quicker and therefore accelerate the acclimation. I had a good conversation about this idea with Mark and his friend Danny today and allowed me to think about it a bit.

     Workouts like today's are not really meant to make you fitter per-se, but mearly to help the body adjust. I know this well, but still I get a bit disheartened when I look at my heart rate and recognize how slow I'm going compared to sea-level pacing. Its momentary frustration, but frustration nonetheless. I can't say at all that I wasn't pleased with the workout though. Fresh grooming at the Steamboat touring center made for a wonderful ski. We had the company of a former racer now coach Josh Smullin skiing with us too which Mark and I enjoy because it adds to our general skiing banter. A good day though. I also want to point out that I had the best Pork Loin ever last night for dinner. I'm pretty sure it melted in my mouth.

No comments:

Post a Comment