Saturday, February 9, 2013

Post Minneapolis slumming and racing

     Ok, so i finished the Midwest supertour in 5th overall, which im satisfied with. The thing i take away from it is that i had consistant solid races through the whole tour with the sprint being the thorn in my side as the time bonuses were significant if you made it into the semifinals, which i did not. But overall, i left the midwest feeling pretty good.... and tired. There is something about 5 races in 8 days that will dig you a little hole.
     I am still using Bozeman as a good hub to travel from. I get pretty tired of getting on and off planes and always traveling that way. Bozeman is a nice place to chill and the skiing is fantastic. I spent all of a day there before renting a car and heading down to Sun Valley for some team sprints and the Boulder Mountain Tour (32k skate race). I didnt really know what to expect as i was still feeling pretty lethargic from the last week of racing. The team sprints that took place a couple days prior were a blast. Music and a big crowd compliments the short field loop approx. 600m in length and complete with jumps. I won crowd favorite as i was the only one to hit each one. Yes thats right.... Brent was hitting the jumps. My sprint partner Allison and I managed to finish 4th and im pretty sure had way more fun than any other teams.
     The Boulder had to be one of the funnest races ive ever done. 32k of skate race that descended almost 2000ft from start to finish made for some really exciting and fast racing. I won a sprint preem at 24k as i was starting to feel pretty good.... unfortunately all the sprinters were able to hang tough without many hard climbs and conditions being fast and i ended up getting swallowed in the sprint finish. i ended up 7th a solid 1.3 seconds behind the winner.

     From Sun Valley i headed to Vail, CO for the Teva Mountain Games 10k skate race. This was at 8300ft elevation and i felt every ft of it the last kilometer. I couldnt stand for a few minutes afterwards trying to catch my breathe, but managed a solid 3rd.

     I drove that night over to Aspen for the Supertour races. Trying not to have a repeat sufferfest from the day before, my race plan was to keep as smooth and relax as possible and not stress to go hard. At this elevation, when you cross the red line... your done for. Worked out well as i again found the 3rd spot on the podium.

Tomorrow will be my third day of racing with the Owl Creek Chase, a 21k lung burning skate race. We will see how the body recovers. Im psyched with all the good recent results and hope to keep the good vibe rolling.



No comments:

Post a Comment