Monday, August 29, 2011

Lost Lake

8/29/2011

This was my first time running in the Lost Lake race in Seward, AK. I have always wanted to run it, but there have been numerous things that have kept me from it. This grueling, but beautiful 15.5 miler was simply unreal. The weather was warm and cloudy at the start of the race. There had been some recent rains, so the majority of the first climbing 5 miles was interspersed with thick mud and general wetness. I was confident that i could stay with the lead through the climbing section of this race, but very quickly after the start I found myself running a little hot, and i dont mean good looking. Knowing that i havent done as much running as these other guys in front of me (Jerry Ross (2:24 Marathon), Brandon Newbould (2:25 marathon) and Eric Strabel (2 time Crow pass champion)) I had to make sure i had some legs for the running sections. I held back just enough to keep my effort in that comfortable hard feeling. At the top of the climb, I had found myself pulling back Brandon and Eric who had run away from me a couple miles earlier. I pressed the first part of the rolling ridgeline right after the climb and i brought Brandon to within 15 seconds. I held that for about a mile.... until Brandon found his legs again. Each mile after the climb was faster for me and i was feeling better and stronger as the miles clicked away, but unfortunately i also watched the more seasoned runners gain valuable seconds on me with each mile. Apart from the start, I only saw Jerry just before the descent on a very long gradual climb... well out in front. I was running just over 5 minute pace for the last four descent miles, but still managed to lose some time on those guys. I finished in 4th about 1.5 minutes behind Eric and about 5 minutes behind Jerry. I felt like a hero and couldnt have raced better for where my fitness is at for running. My hat goes off to the three in front of me for really throwing down some great times in what ended up being an extremely wet and muddy race. I have no more races for the summer season and from here on out its going to focused on preparing for Nationals.

Brent

1 comment:

  1. There has never been a faster winner, a faster 2nd place time, a faster third place time, a faster 4th place time, and i'm pretty sure a faster 5th place time.

    This was the fastest (and definitely, most competitive field) in lost lake run history, in spite of slow conditions.

    Great run for your first race over the course, Brent!

    ReplyDelete